Sunday, March 25, 2012

Basic Design Question Currency Dimension or New Measure

Hi All,
I am in the middle of a decision and I would like to ask experts for their
ideas.
I have Sales Reporting System on MSSQL 2000 + AS + RS
So far I have used only USD as reporting currency, now I am going to add
EURO and Local Currencies. My Current Model has "Sales", "Performance%" etc
as measures and Items,Countries etc as dimensions.
The question is how should I add new currencies to the system ?
As new Measures Sales_EURO?
or
As adding them to the fact table as rows keeping only one Sales measure and
adding a Currency dimension ?
I have around 2 million record in my fact table and data is accessed via
Reporting Services reports and via an application using OWC Pivot Table.
Thanks in advance?
erdalErdal,
Check out Adventure Works Enterprise Analysis services sample. I believe it
solves your problem via a currency dimension.
"erdal akbulut" <erdalim21@.yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:eJWeL32cGHA.4576@.TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> Hi All,
> I am in the middle of a decision and I would like to ask experts for their
> ideas.
> I have Sales Reporting System on MSSQL 2000 + AS + RS
> So far I have used only USD as reporting currency, now I am going to add
> EURO and Local Currencies. My Current Model has "Sales", "Performance%"
> etc
> as measures and Items,Countries etc as dimensions.
> The question is how should I add new currencies to the system ?
> As new Measures Sales_EURO?
> or
> As adding them to the fact table as rows keeping only one Sales measure
> and
> adding a Currency dimension ?
> I have around 2 million record in my fact table and data is accessed via
> Reporting Services reports and via an application using OWC Pivot Table.
> Thanks in advance?
> erdal
>
>
>|||Tim Thanks for you reply.
Unfortunately I dont have SSAS 2005 installed, think that sample comes with
SSAS 2005. Do you know is there any documentation for that project that I
can use without installing the application itself?
erdal
"Tim Dot NoSpam" <Tim.NoSpam@.hughes.net> wrote in message
news:eD1tkPdeGHA.380@.TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> Erdal,
> Check out Adventure Works Enterprise Analysis services sample. I believe
it
> solves your problem via a currency dimension.
> "erdal akbulut" <erdalim21@.yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:eJWeL32cGHA.4576@.TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
their[vbcol=seagreen]
>|||Not that I'm aware of. Sorry.
-Tim
"erdal akbulut" <erdalim21@.yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:uE7najleGHA.4912@.TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> Tim Thanks for you reply.
> Unfortunately I dont have SSAS 2005 installed, think that sample comes
> with
> SSAS 2005. Do you know is there any documentation for that project that I
> can use without installing the application itself?
> erdal
> "Tim Dot NoSpam" <Tim.NoSpam@.hughes.net> wrote in message
> news:eD1tkPdeGHA.380@.TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> it
> their
>

No comments:

Post a Comment