Thursday, March 29, 2012

Basic Question on SQL Server 2005 Backup Theory

I am replicating a large number of databases (the size changes
dynamically) from one sql server to another, all pragmatically.
Once a week, I do a full backup and restore it on the destination.
All other times I am just backing up the log files, copying them over,
and restoring them. Basically a glorified log ship.
About once a week, I get various exceptions stating the following:
********
System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: BACKUP LOG cannot be performed
because there is no current database backup.
********
My question is: with this scenario, how often do I have to actually
perform a full backup? Does SQL Server 2005 really care?
Thanks a lot,
Michael Gorsuch
> My question is: with this scenario, how often do I have to actually
> perform a full backup? Does SQL Server 2005 really care?
Only the very first time. Assuming you ship all transaction log backups, and don't do anything with
the originating database that break the log backup sequence (like put it in simple recovery model).
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
http://www.karaszi.com/sqlserver/default.asp
http://sqlblog.com/blogs/tibor_karaszi
"Michael Gorsuch" <michael.gorsuch@.gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1177597505.788472.212590@.t39g2000prd.googlegr oups.com...
>I am replicating a large number of databases (the size changes
> dynamically) from one sql server to another, all pragmatically.
> Once a week, I do a full backup and restore it on the destination.
> All other times I am just backing up the log files, copying them over,
> and restoring them. Basically a glorified log ship.
> About once a week, I get various exceptions stating the following:
> ********
> System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: BACKUP LOG cannot be performed
> because there is no current database backup.
> ********
> My question is: with this scenario, how often do I have to actually
> perform a full backup? Does SQL Server 2005 really care?
> Thanks a lot,
> Michael Gorsuch
>

No comments:

Post a Comment