Sunday, March 25, 2012

basic authentication with olap failing

Hi,
I've got a situation where I am trying to connect from my local PC to
a windows 2003 server that is running SQL Server2k EE with Analysis
Services and IIS.
I have followed a number of Microsoft articles for configuring http
access to the Analysis Services, and my msolap.asp file is located
correctly and I have tested that I can access it with both anonymous
and basic authentication enabled on the site. The connection string I
am using is pointing to the correct directory for my msolap.asp file.
I can type the url to my msolap.asp file into my browser and do not
get any errors, both on anonymous or basic authentication access (I
need to have basic authentication).
The problem lies in the fact that when I try and access my web site
pages that contain the OWC components, if I turn on basic
authentication on msolap.asp I get unspecified errors and cannot load
data. If I leave the msolap.asp file as anonymous access and my web
site virtual directory with basic authentication, I am promted to
login and the data displays correctly. However, if I refresh the
page, I am prompted to login again - which should not be happening.
The frustrating thing is, if I remove the dynamic OWC component from
my page but leave the static OWC component, then I do not get prompted
to log in multiple times and it behaves as it should.
I know I've outlined a few problems in this post, but I'm pretty new
to OLAP and I'm just trying to get it running on a server.
Thanks in advanceTo clear up a few items, it appears there is no impact of the OWC
component being dynamic or static, as either one of them results in
multiple login prompts. If I disable basic authentication on
msolap.asp, then the strange behaviour I notice is that when I have the
site marked as "Trusted" in my browser, I am prompted to login on first
page access (which is correct), but then prompted to login again on any
hyperlink click on the page or on a page refresh. If I remove the
"Trusted" status, then I am only prompted to login on first access to
the site and on any subsequent refresh of the page in the browser.
Is this the correct behaviour for OWC/OLAP components?
Thankssql

No comments:

Post a Comment