Sunday, March 25, 2012

Basic "getting started" Info on MSDE 2000?

Hello,

I am looking for basic info on installing and using MSDE.

I am trying to install and play with MSDE on my PC (Win2000). I
finally managed to work my way through installation, and named
instances but I am finding no information on how to simply START the
database engine and get to a sql prompt! I have manually started the
MSSQL and SQLAGENT services, and tried running sqlservr.exe and
osql.exe (just guessing) without success. Can anyone refer me to a
document that gives this BASIC information!?(bidalah@.yahoo.com) writes:
> I am looking for basic info on installing and using MSDE.
> I am trying to install and play with MSDE on my PC (Win2000). I
> finally managed to work my way through installation, and named
> instances but I am finding no information on how to simply START the
> database engine and get to a sql prompt! I have manually started the
> MSSQL and SQLAGENT services, and tried running sqlservr.exe and
> osql.exe (just guessing) without success. Can anyone refer me to a
> document that gives this BASIC information!?

SQL Server runs as a service, and you should start it from the
Services Applet in the Control Panel (under Administrative tools). I
don't if you get SQL Server Manager with MSDE; if you do, you can use
this tool a well. The same applies to SQL Server Agent.

You can start sqlservr.exe from the command line, but this is advanced
usage.

OSQL is a client, and this you run from the command line. To connect
with integrated security say:

osql -E -S .\INSTANCENAME

replace INSTANCENAME with the actual name of your instance.

--
Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@.sommarskog.se

Books Online for SQL Server SP3 at
http://www.microsoft.com/sql/techin.../2000/books.asp

No comments:

Post a Comment